- The first thing that caught my eye were the red bars; they stand out heavily over the primarily blue color scheme. The X-axis has a clear listing of crops considered, but it gets a little confusing considering both the amount of crops each farm produces, and percent of value of production.
- The first idea that popped into my head upon viewing this graph is wondering what the secondary, or more, crop is when considering the farms that produce more than one. It’s easy to tell what the first crop is, by the X-axis labeling, but any more than one and the viewer is left confused. However, the clearest idea that can be taken from this graph is that most farms cultivate more than one crop.
- I dislike the bar chart method that is used for this graph. It’s super confusing to read, considering every bar is the same height regardless of the size of the color blocks. It’s also impossible to tell what the second or third crops are, as mentioned above. The viewer is forced to look at this chart for a longer time than just a few glances if they want to take away any information.
- I would change the:
a.bar chart formatting because all of the bars are the same height and are hard to understand
b.labeling that only allows for viewers to know what the first crop is
c.fact that there are two variables being considered in a confusing graph
- This graph includes a very clear key, and it’s easy to tell which crop requires the most energy by the horizontal bar graph.
- It’s easy to tell that cotton and rice require the most energy, as compared to dairy, which requires very little energy.
- Despite the clear difference in colors and the bar chart, it’s hard to tell the exact size of each specific colored block, because they don’t align perfectly with the percentage marks on the X-axis. Also, I don’t know why “all farms” is mixed into the Y axis labels of the different crops; that should be a completely separate graph.
- In order to make this graph clearer, it would be beneficial to either have a separate graph for each kind of energy, or each different crop. With that, it would also be beneficial to turn this information into a pie chart with the exact percentages made clearly. Also, the Y-axis labels should stick to just crops, rather than trying to include “all farms”.
In this graph I took information from the provided graph above (“Share of U.S. farm operator expenses for energy- based purchases by commodity specialization”), and considered only the data dealing with electricity (the light blue bar). I took out the “all farms” option, because that added confusion, and I chose to graph the electricity component, because it aligned well with the X-axis markers. Plotly took the percentages I estimated and made their sum equal to 100%, so from this graph, one can infer how much electricity each crop requires on a farm. I chose the pie chart, because it’s the easiest to understand from first glance, given the clear percentages and varying color/ size of each ‘pie slice’.